Friday 16 August 2013

Yolandi - Music Meets Fashion!

Recently, a friend of mine showed me this duo from South Africa, Die Antwoord. When I first watched their music videos I felt like I was watching a horror film!! (Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uee_mcxvrw and you'll get an idea of what I mean!)

I watched a few more of their videos, and even though I'm probably not a huge fan of their music its self, I noticed their style was really original.

It is definitely not something I would like to look like, but it made me think of the different culture that these people live in South Africa. Not to mention Yolandi has an amaaaazing body!

Yolandi & Ninja Die Antwoord


After reading this interview in the W Magazine with them both, it then made sense why they dress the way they are, and why they write the music they do!

(http://www.wmagazine.com/people/celebrities/2011/01/yolandi_visser_ninja_die_antwoord_musicians/)

I then looked into them a bit further, more so Yolandi and fashion. It turns out that Yolandi is actually an inspiration to designers with the way their garments are modelled down the catwalk. Here is the designer Riri Sugawara's collection 'Dans la vie' which, the hair and make up was inspired by Yolandi....

Yolandi Inspired
Hair & Make Up

The stylist was Bill Watson from Toni & Guy. The look was to be extra long, tight, with a reverse plait.

Yolandi has even collaborated with Alexander Wang. The range is sportswear which is called 'T' ranges from tees, jumpers, sweats and tanks. It doesn't have anything to do with Die Antwoord but the campaign they did for it was entertaining, even though Yolandi swears every other word. 

...
Well, that's a little bit different. Not sure how that's going to work out for Wang but I'm sure we will see!!!

Wang said: "Where music leads, I follow," he says. "[Die Antwoord] is a different thing than what we might say is `fashion,' but fashion is still what they wear and how they portray themselves, visually. That's what I love so much." ELLE.com




No comments:

Post a Comment